Forums>Main Discussion>Papers Please!
+ SHARE
Jun 21, 2008 12:47pm
Papers Please!

someone

Approved Member

PG Super Administrator

"cheesecake"
New screening rules for travelers within the US now require the showing of ID.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/06/20/pkg.meserve.no.id.cnn

Does it make sense to request ID again, or is this just the steady slope down to an oppressive government which will require identity papers of everyone?
Good Idea, Showing ID frequently helps us to be safer
Bad Idea, will end up with everyone having ID papers
I don't care

(You must be a signed in member to vote in polls and see poll results)

Jun 21, 2008 12:56pm
-

This post can no longer be read. This user has deleted his/her account.

Jun 21, 2008 1:11pm

someone

Approved Member

PG Super Administrator

"cheesecake"
Quote:

Original post by Henry
wtf, you didn't need a passport anyway?
seems strange

Passport is only for international travel, which is now required basically for everywhere (used to not need it for Canada, Mexico, etc).

What they are requesting is a drivers lic type ID card for travel within the US.

Jun 21, 2008 1:33pm

Kyle

Approved Member

Forum Moderator

"9.5 year member"
its kind of pointless... i mean... anything can be faked anyway - like they said in the video. until we are all tattooed with bar codes or have electronic chips embedded underneath our skin, there is no guarantee that anyone person is not going to be a terrorist. we shouldn't have to show our IDs, although it isn't really a hassle of any sort. but if someone shows their ID and takes down a plane anyway, whats the difference?

Jun 21, 2008 1:59pm

"Solitaire Man"
yea, if they were making you do it anyways, and only a few people actually declined it to waste more time out of their own days, then who really gives a shit

js

Jun 21, 2008 2:34pm

"McBush Supporter"
Quote:

Original post by Ryan
yea, if they were making you do it anyways, and only a few people actually declined it to waste more time out of their own days, then who really gives a shit

js

Quote:

Original post by omgitswes
fuck valentines day, fuck starbucks, fuck coffee, fuck white people, fuck america, fuck the world. i'm out for mine, BITCHES

Jun 22, 2008 11:07am

AlumAngelus

Approved Member

"man created God"
who caaares
how is this hurting peoples rights? All you have to do is show your damn ID...and whats wrong with everyone having identity papers...seems like a good idea for somebody to have ID

Jun 22, 2008 11:09am

Kyle

Approved Member

Forum Moderator

"9.5 year member"
Quote:

Original post by AlumAngelus
who caaares
how is this hurting peoples rights? All you have to do is show your damn ID...and whats wrong with everyone having identity papers...seems like a good idea for somebody to have ID

especially someone like you walkin 'round with guns and shiz

Jun 22, 2008 11:11am

AlumAngelus

Approved Member

"man created God"
Quote:

Original post by Kyle

especially someone like you walkin 'round with guns and shiz

pff i dont walk around with guns, I keep it in its case in my closet
plus its gonna be people like me with guns that are gonna have to protect you n00bs without them one day

Jun 22, 2008 11:35am

Kyle

Approved Member

Forum Moderator

"9.5 year member"
Quote:

Original post by AlumAngelus

pff i dont walk around with guns, I keep it in its case in my closet
plus its gonna be people like me with guns that are gonna have to protect you n00bs without them one day

i know kung fu

i love how that pic was titled "omfg i know kung fu lol"

(Last edited on Jun 22, 2008 11:36am)

Jun 23, 2008 12:56pm

"ginger"
Considering flying isn't public transportation, they're will within their rights to ask for IDs. It's all private companies, and if they want to check everyone's ID, they're allowed to.

It's like going into a Bar, some check all IDs, some check rarely, either way, it's a private business that can do what they wish.

Jun 23, 2008 12:59pm

someone

Approved Member

PG Super Administrator

"cheesecake"
Quote:

Original post by SoulMan
Considering flying isn't public transportation, they're will within their rights to ask for IDs. It's all private companies, and if they want to check everyone's ID, they're allowed to.

It's like going into a Bar, some check all IDs, some check rarely, either way, it's a private business that can do what they wish.

I think you misunderstand. The airline first checks your identity against a database they maintain when you buy the ticket.

Then, when you get to the airport, it is the government who is again checking your ID when you go through security. That is what is at issue here, a government check, not a private industry check.

(Last edited on Jun 23, 2008 12:59pm)

Jun 23, 2008 1:23pm

"ginger"
Quote:

Original post by someone

I think you misunderstand. The airline first checks your identity against a database they maintain when you buy the ticket.

Then, when you get to the airport, it is the government who is again checking your ID when you go through security. That is what is at issue here, a government check, not a private industry check.

Either way it's still private property and not public land, if someone wants to check everyone entering a certain establishments, it's within their rights, even if it is a government check, also the airlines bac kcheck against the government as well, so it's not like it's doing something that wasn't done before.

(Last edited on Jun 23, 2008 1:24pm)

Forums>Main Discussion>Papers Please!
     Pages: 1

HELP | Guide to Safety | About Us | Advertise With Us | Contact | Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
© 2010 People Grade LLC.